I confess, I am a bit of an evangelist when it comes to Kitsch Kitchen panniers.
I used to carry my gear on my back, in a boring black backpack from a camping store. But as my loads got heavier and heavier and I started getting back pain, I thought it was time to finally use panniers.
Panniers have transformed my life. Seriously. Such that when I got my new bike the first thing I did when I got it was take it to Cecil Walker and get a back rack installed for another set of Kitsch Kitchen panniers.
Why do I love them so much?
1. They brighten up my bike. As you can see, I own a very utilitarian Diamondback hybrid which is a fantastic ride but frankly a little dull for my aesthetics. The panniers come in a range of bright colours and patterns.
2. They are secure on the bike. The panniers fit on a back rack with 4 looped straps and 2 velcro straps. Once they’re on, they’re on! I haven’t had any problem with theft – a thief would have to spend a good five minutes fiddling with the back rack before they’d be able to get them off. Looks very suspicious 🙂
3. They are waterproof and if they get dirty a quick wipe cleans the dirt off the oilcloth.
4. They help me carry large loads. The panniers (combined with the wicker basket) carry books, laptops, cameras, clothing and shopping. I can also strap items to the back rack, on top of the panniers, using a $2 bungee cord.
5. No more back pain and sweaty backs!