“The city and the bike – they were made for each other” begins The Casual Cyclist’s Guide, bringing a fresh and entertaining perspective to this much-loved mode of transport.
Beginning with the quest for personal mobility that saw contraptions such as the ‘dandy walking horse’ in the early 1800s and ‘the boneshaker’ rattle riders around cobblestone streets in the decades after, the guide details the city’s first love affair with the bicycle – before moving onto an array of tips, tricks and thoughts on Taking the Scenic Route, Five Surprising Situations When it’s Better to Take the Bike and Bike Maintenance: The Barest of Essentials.
For its 25 or so riding routes, the guide brings together contributions from a range of Melbourne architects, historians, chefs, designers and local identities. Take a ride around town and explore the city’s Hidden Heritage, or search for the The Outdoor Lounge Room. Discover Museums You’ve Never Been To or even Foreign Sights in Familiar Places. Journey on Guy Grossi’s quest for a four-course Italian feast or discover a French chef’s favourite Asian eat spots in Footscray…
With hand drawn maps of Melbourne, design by cult agency Studio Pip & Co and illustrations from Melbourne artists Tin & Ed, this beautifully designed little package is an essential item for the Melbournite on two wheels or the visitor from afar.
The book ships for free! Just enter the discount code BOOK at checkout.
- Andrew Ashton Founder, Studio Pip & Co
- Blaine Cooper Cycle courier
- GoodFishBadFish Blog
- Caitlin Marks Architect, first time cyclist
- Guy Grossi Chef, Grossi Florentino
- Jeremy Wortsman Founder, Jacqui Winter Group
- Lincoln Riley Sommelier, Stokehouse
- Max Olijnyk Writer & founder, Note to Self
- Nick Creswick Chef, Libertine
- Oslo Davis Cartoonist
- Penny Modra Editor, Three Thousand
- Richard Nylon Milliner
- Rohan Storey Architectural historian, the National Trust
- Russell Boyd Film location manager, The Killer Elite
- Stanton Erskine Postman, Australian Post
- Takashi Omi Proprietor, Izakaya Den
- Ten Melbourne Architects On the outdoor loungeroom
- The Victoria Police Cycle Unit
- Tin & Ed Illustrators